Thursday, February 12, 2015

"Faces of Russia" exhibition

Janet and I installed my photographs of Russian people in the NVCC-LoudounWaddell Art Gallery yesterday with the help of Art Professor Dwayne Treadway. The show opens on Friday with a reception from 6-7pm. We printed about 60 photos size 11X14 and attached them to foam-core backing, then attached them to about 100 feet of white wall. This is a first for me and I am not sure what to expect.
While we were working several students came in and looked around, seemingly very interested. One young fellow asked if I might tell him what was the "theme". I mentioned to him something about Russian stereotypes and how I hope to dispel them through my quick photo portrayals of people I'd met in Russia. The open, pleasant, smiling faces---all virtually un-staged---make me feel good about the world in which we live---and I hope to convey those feelings to others.


He said---"Hey, I'm a Russian....from Ekaterinberg....." and we talked for several minutes. I think my theme surprised him but we had a great talk about several of my "faces". He went around and pointed out the "real Russians" based on appearance. This never fails to confuse me---that even if your family has been in Russia for several generations---only people with a certain look are "real Russians".
I should not admit that I watch Downton Abbey, but last week's episode included a Tsarist refugee exclaiming that a Jewish family from Odessa was not "real Russian". Someday I shall understand.


I leave for Russia on Monday and will arrive in Saratov on Wednesday. I shall begin teaching International Entrepreneurship  on Thursday. I return on the 1st of March. The Ukraine tensions may be ebbing a bit due to Angela Merkel's tireless negotiation with you know who---but I do not worry. I have a great many wonderful friends who keep a close eye on me. I have a feeling many people I know are suffering a bit due to sanctions and such. I feel it is very important to continue to my work in helping bridge the differences between our two societies---even something so miniscule such as my visits can have great symbolic significance(at least I hope so...)

1 comment:

  1. Miguel,
    Sorry I missed the opening. I browsed the photos this morning - nary a bleak nor menacing face amongst them. They are obviously responding to your friendly disposition!

    Safe travels, my friend.

    ReplyDelete