Thursday, February 26, 2015

Green Men

Earlier this week I had a discussion with a very well educated young man, a professional. He wanted to know what America thought of Vladimir Vladimirovitch Putin. I said the majority of us don't really like him---he seems to be a bully and that we think he is a dictator. I also stated that America and Europe are threatened by the events taking place in Ukraine, especially the annexation of Crimea. Russians pronounce this Kreem.

He seemed generally surprised. Putin is VERY popular here. He legitimately wins elections with more than 70% of the vote. He stated confidently that there were no Russian soldiers in Ukraine... "look at all the men on the streets of Russia, how could we be in Ukraine?"

I brought up the common narrative of Kruschyev "giving" Krim to Ukraine many decades ago. My friend calmly stated that this was an "illegal" action. Matter of fact. I always say that I don't know the truth and try to discuss things calmly.

I am becoming very aware of how media has infinite power, both in my own country and this one. It molds our views profoundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment