Friday, February 27, 2015

Graduation


Today was graduation for the students in the International Business Administration program. A very scripted event with certificates for everyone, speeches by the Direktor and teachers. These kids are so brave. they deserve this pomp and circumstance. The Direktor is a kind and serious man, very formal, from my understanding a very intelligent, humble man. His speech is very thoughtful, soft, and reflective. I like him. He goes out of his way to acknowledge me time and time again. He received me in his office earlier in the week and we have a warm, respectful relationship. He is very aware of the importance of international relationships and I believe he respects Natalia' s office and those efforts very much.
There are two new people in the office now---Julia is on maternity leave---a very kind and friendly young woman named Olga----and a great young man, Dmitri, whose enthusiasm is infectious. It is an office that brims with efficiency, they all work very hard, yet a collegiality exists that is just wonderful. Their Fulbright English teacher, Courtney also has a desk there. I think we all get along famously. I am still uncomfortable with all the fuss made over me----seriously---I'm a fleeting celebrity(ack!) and they do all the heavy lifting---teaching, translating, organizing, cajoling, meeting deadlines. They are my heroes and I am proud to know all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment