Sunday, March 9, 2014

Short work day on Friday

We have a long weekend coming up here....International Women's Day is a big deal here in Russia. Saturday is the official day I think, but everyone gets Monday off too. People selling flowers make a bunch of cash......many are selling "mimosa" flowers....the first things to bloom in places a little further south like Sochi.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acacia_dealbata


Natalia, Masha, Valia, Yulia and I went out and had a late lunch in a nice restaurant. Somebody treated, but I am not sure who----anyway, it was delicious. I went home afterwards and took a nap. I'll list some of what we had to eat. I took a photo but not very high quality. Pigs ears, pickled mushrooms, herring I think, delicious garlic breadsticks and dip, Pork stew casserole, veggie pizza, good Czech beer---I am sure I'm leaving something out. Restaurant service in Russia can be a little different. Everything arrives at different times. I was trained not to eat until everybody has their food and so I have to be told to eat all the time---it doesn't bother anybody. Masha, who is vegetarian, got her pizza last. We had a great time and it was nice for them to include me. Afterwards we walked down to a bake shop and all had this delicious Volga cake----made with about a mile layer of whipped eggs and sugary goodness I think. Lucky for me the apartment is a good hike so I could walk some of it off. Delicious. Description about halfway down this page


http://projectsaratov.jimdo.com/mysteries-and-discoveries-of-saratov/traditional-cuisine/


Everywhere you looked people were out. Day was sunny, snow and ice melting everywhere. Not quite like Valentines day----this is a time when all women are appreciated. The director, vice-directors, faculty, and students even produced a really nice video for the women of the institute. They really seemed to appreciate it.













No comments:

Post a Comment