Saturday, March 1, 2014

I meet some Russian Police(don't worry!)

Thursday evening I go out to get a little dry red wine at a store that has been recommended to me. I am returning home mid-evening. There are few people on the streets as it is still pretty darn cold---perhaps 5 deg. F. As I am walking down Moscovskaya, a one way street towards the Volga, a beat up old Lada is winding up the wrong way and has a meeting with the local police force. The guys(not the police) are outside the car and appear a little buzzed. I don't linger at all and continue on my way.


I don't see anyone else on the street now, it is a little late, and I turn left toward my kvartira. As I am crossing the last street, there is suddenly a police car, right in front of me. The window comes down and the fellow says(in Russian)," your documents please". I state that I will cross the street and I do.
The guy in the passenger seat now says "documents, please". I motion to him to please exit the car---just as general rule, I don't like to lean into cars and give anyone anything, especially my passport.
The passenger policeman gets out, not threatening at all, in fact very good natured, smiling even.
I hand him my passport, tell him what I do and where I work, point out my Institute ID. He needs to see my registration, a document showing where I live and how long I'll be here.  We are all speaking Russian---me haltingly and imperfectly, but no tension. My registration passes muster.


He then looks at me, smiles, and says "Obama?", smiling. I give him the" mojet buit"  motion with my hand, the sort of non-committal perhaps yes, perhaps no sign and say "Putin?". he smiles again and gives me the same motion. We say goodnight, I say "be safe" in English and we go our separate ways. There is a bit of negative stuff about Russian police in the guidebooks and in State dept briefing materials and this was the complete opposite experience. I was not nervous, they were not threatening in the least. I've never felt any threat---the police in Moscow were out in force but very professional and serious. Sorry, but police in my own country make me feel more uneasy sometimes. I keep thinking that what I am learning here is that things are going to be fine.

1 comment: