Sunday, February 9, 2014

First International Business Class on Thursday 2/6

I should briefly discuss my first teaching experience in Russia.
Thursday, February 6, was my first class. Starting time determined to be 3:20 PM and we would have two 1.5 hour sessions with a 10 minute break. These students have stamina. They seem to be in class from about 1pm to 6:30 PM almost every day, 1.5 hours at a time with 10 minute breaks. I know how difficult it is to stay engaged in these circumstances and I applaud them---they are very focused. I don't remember having that much energy. I think I remember beginning to squirm pretty quickly.


I always begin with explaining how important it is for me to learn names. When I began teaching, I simply memorized their names by the third or fourth week. Sometime around 2005, my kind and brilliant IT colleague, Robert Dusek, recommended his method---take a photo of the class. Take quick roll and write down on a little chart where they are sitting that day in the photo. Study it. You then know their names. This is much quicker---especially with the larger BUS 100 classes at NOVA-Loudoun. I did this with my class here in Saratov.
I must say, that linguistically, Chinese names are very difficult for Westerners, and so for my Chinese students, it is going to take a bit longer. They are very particular about pronunciation and such. Some have "Western" nicknames like Leon, Hattie, and Connie, but it always bothered me a bit that they feel they must do this.
Posting this now to recharge the laptop. will continue soon.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the great work Brother. You have a lot of people cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete