Thursday, January 16, 2014

I am here in Moscow!

Friday, 1/17, 11:15am


I have arrived in Russia. The Fulbright office in Moscow arranged a taxi to meet me at Domodedovo Airport. It too 1 hour, 45 minutes to reach the Ibis hotel near Paveletsky Station. It was snowing and there are about 3 inches on the ground. Russians are non-plussed. Cars don't seem to be affected by snow on streets. It is about 10 degrees F.
I went to bed about 10pm.Did not nap before to try to alleviate the lag. Had a vodka. slept until about 1:30am, woke up and slept until my wife, Janet called the hotel around 7am Moscow time, just as she was going to bed.
In a few minutes, I will check out and drag my enormous bags(2) + backpack to the train station about 1/2 mile away. doesn't seem worth it to get a cab but it is likely a decision I will regret.
I think I will then wait for my 5 pm train to Saratov....nap, read etc at the station. Too damn cold for me to attempt any tourist sightseeing. I am worried about excess baggage charges---some say just board the train, others say inform at ticket window and pay extra.I already bought a ticket online in the states. I should arrive in Saratov tomorrow at 9am.Not sure when I will next have wi-fi.


All for now. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. You made it to Russia! We would not want to trade weather with you.
    Best of luck from Kent and I, and hope the language barrier treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you couldn't hang around Moscow. But this is a directed trip and you need to head south; even if it isn't very far and might be just as cold.
    Stay war and thanks for the input to get RY 102!!

    Jacki Holland

    ReplyDelete